On Thursday, October 8, at about 4:20 p.m., a call came in to the North Royalton Fire Department as a vehicle fire. North Royalton Fire Chief Robert Chegan responded with the crew, and came to realize that the car was on fire, as well as the building.
According to North Royalton Police reports, a Parma resident was traveling east on Wallings Road when the interior of the car he was driving began to fill with smoke. He lost the power steering and brakes. He went through the intersection of Wallings and State Roads and drove into the Sunoco gas station/convenience store at the corner.
According to Chegan, mutual aid was called and surrounding communities responded including Parma, who sent a squad and a ladder, Seven Hills, Broadview Heights and Strongsville. Chegan said that due to the hazard of being a gas station with propane on the side of the property, literally within feet of the fire a third alarm was sounded. With that, the companies from Brecksville, Independence and Brookpark also responded.
“The main building was completely involved when I got there. We had three hydrant sources and five lines on it. Unfortunately, with all combustibles, it went off pretty quick. The building was totaled, with extensive damage. Both State and Wallings were closed during the time frame, due to the location of the hydrants.
Luckily, the everyone in the car made it out safely, as well as those who were in the building. No one was injured. State and Wallings were re-opened at about 6 p.m. and the last engine was sent back about 7 p.m.

Contributing Writer