City Council recently adopted legislation that will allow two major road projects to go forward. The legislation, which was adopted at the December 21 City Council meeting, will affect Ridge and York Roads.
Council approved an ordinance that increased the amount that was originally authorized to the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) for the Ridge Road resurfacing project. The increase was necessary due to the fact that the bids received were higher than anticipated, according to Mayor Larry Antoskiewicz. The Ridge Road resurfacing is set to take place this year. The additional cost approved is an amount not to exceed $126, 028.00. Antoskiewicz said that the overall project will be funded by an 80-20% split and the city paying the 20% of the project. He also noted that the majority of the cost of the project has been already accounted for in the 2021 budget.
Council also adopted an ordinance that would authorize the Mayor to accept funding from the Northeast Ohio Areawide Coordinating Agency (NOACA) in the amount of $529,397 from their Transportation Improvement Program for the York Road Rehabilitation Project. The City originally received notification in 2019 from NOACA that they will receive funding for a portion of the project. The project includes the area between Wallings Road and Sprague Road. According to city officials, the scope of work is a simple mill and fill improvement project of the pavement. Council also adopted an ordinance that authorizes the Mayor to enter into an agreement with the Ohio Department of Transportation to complete the York Road project.
The city received the notification that the NOACA Board of Directors approved the NOACA funded portion of the project, which amounts to about 80% of the project. That amount covers the certain construction costs, up to the maximum amount in the specified State Fiscal Year of implementation, which is targeted for this year. The city of North Royalton will be obligated to fund the remaining 20%, which must be provided for from a non-federal funding source. The City will also be responsible for any extras to the project.
The grant is part of NOACA’s State Fiscal Year 2021-2024 Transportation Improvement Program (TIP). This project aligns with NOACA and community priorities toward the implementation of the region’s “AIM Forward 2040” long-range transportation plan. “If the long-range transportation plan is the blueprint showing where the region’s transportation system will go over the next 20 years, the Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) is the tool for implementing the plan,” according to NOACA officials. “The TIP includes all federally funded projects and regionally significant, non-federally funded transportation projects to be implemented in NOACA’s five counties over the next four fiscal years; Budgets, prioritizes and schedules federal-aid highway, transit and transportation alternatives projects; Assists the transportation community and the public track the use of state, local and federal transportation funds; Accounts for the region’s immediate transportation system expenditures,” It has a four-year time frame and is updated by NOACA every two years and amended quarterly by the NOACA Board of Directors.

Contributing Writer